Monday, June 11, 2012

Tomato Lentils

Do you know what makes me happy? When I discover something I have always made that happens to be allergen free; easy peasy! I've decided that I like food that is Yummy first, and allergen-free second, not the other way around. This is one of those recipes...naturally allergen-free! The fact that it is PACKED with healthy goodness is just a bonus.
I have to admit that this next recipe isn't something I make for my whole family, it is something Archie and I have been enjoying secretly for lunch for the last few months. Not everyone loves lentils, so I don't force it on my family, but Archie and I agree that it is yummy! It's adapted from a recipe called Indian Red Lentils from wholenewmom.com. I didn't have some of the ingredients, so I made some substitutions, and when I made it later like the recipe said, I realized I liked my version better! Nice when that happens. Another note, I serve it on brown rice or quinoa, so a little goes a long way. I half the recipe, and Archie and I eat it for about 4 days (I don't half the onions, because, c'mon, onions are awesome).


Archie Red Lentils

Ingredients
  • 3-4 Tbsp coconut oil or other healthy fat. Nature’s Way is one good brand.
  • 1 onion, diced (or ~ 2 Tbsp. minced plus a bit of water to reconstitute)
  • 8 garlic cloves, minced (see my tip on The Easiest Way to Peel Garlic)
  • 28 oz (3 1/2 cups) chicken broth (vegetable broth is also fine – See my Homemade Vegetable Broth Mix recipe)
  • 28 oz can diced tomatoes (of course, fresh is fine also)
  • 2 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed 
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper 
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • Salt to taste 
Method
1.  Melt oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat.
2.  Add onion and garlic.  Saute 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
3.  Add broth and next 5 ingredients.
4.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low.  Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, approximately 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.  If using a pressure cooker, bring to a boil.  Place the lid on the cooker and bring up to high pressure.  Cook for 9 minutes on high [you may need a few more minutes since the tomatoes counteract the cooking of the lentils slightly.  Conversely, you could add the tomatoes after cooking the beans].  Let pressure come down naturally.  Remove lid carefully.)
5.  Stir in basil and salt to taste.
NOTE:  The lentils in the photo are red lentils.  Isn’t it interesting how they turn yellow when cooked?

1 comment:

  1. Heck ya and all natural!!! :) I AM SOO HAPPY!! I am going to be trying so many of your fab recipes! :) This one looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete