Friday, June 15, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake Muffins

These are from a recipe I found online at this website. I had to adjust it a bit for Archie's specific allergies, but it still turned out pretty good. I'm not saying they're going to win a bake-off any time soon, but they are good! I had to replace the greek yogurt with coconut yogurt, and the eggs with flax meal. 

I have a few tips for you when making this. I tried to follow the instructions and just whiz it all up in the blender, but it was too thick, even for my mighty Vitamix. Not to mention, it was hard to get out from under the little blades once it was mixed. So, next time, I would just grind the oats into flour in my blender, then mix it all separately. Another tip.....ADD SALT!! There is no salt in the recipe, and I didn't notice until I tasted them later. Bummer. One final tip, use the plunger provided when damping down the mix in your blender, not a red rubber spatula. Bits of red spatula are hard to pick out of the batter....just guessing. 



Strawberry Shortcake Muffins



Ingredients

2 1/2 cupOats (old fashioned kind, not quick cooking)
6 ouncesPlain coconut yogurt
2 T Flax meal soaked in 6 T warm water for 5 minutes
3/4 cupSweetener of choice, (that measures the same as sugar) or 1/4 cup baking tbs stevia sweetener1
1 1/2 tspBaking powder
1/2 tspBaking soda
1 1/2 cupStrawberries, diced, and patted dry 
Optional1 tsp lemon juice
*NoteSilicone cupcake liners are recommended.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with silicone or foil liners, (or just use a silicone muffin pan).
Place all of the ingredients (except the strawberries) in a blender or food processor, and blend until oats are smooth. Pour mixture into a medium sized bowl, and stir in strawberries. 
Divide batter among cupcake liners, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am curious how Archie likes these!!! Let me know, you can just tell me next time you see me... which will be soon... very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete