Thursday, June 14, 2012

Baked Blueberry Oatmeal

One of the saddest things about Archie's allergies is the impact it has on his ability to eat breakfast food. What's better than fluffy pancakes, or egg burritos, or french toast?!? Poor little guy. For now, he doesn't know what he's missing, and if I can get creative with some recipes, he may never be missing anything!
(He has a little mustache from his green smoothie, another favorite for breakfast)
I am working on finding a good pancake recipe for him, but until then, this baked oatmeal is yummy too. I love oatmeal. I already know that he loves oatmeal too, it was his first solid food after all! When he was 6 months old, I started grinding brown rice and steel-cut oats in my Vitamix blender, and boiling it up for his cereal. He loved it. When he was a little older, we graduated him to old-fashioned oats, and now, he is on to gluten-free oats. He loves them all. His big brother is happy too because he loves oats and he gets to eat them when I make them for Archie. I like to make a big batch of oatmeal early in the week, and then just scoop some out every day and warm it up with some apple sauce. Quick, and he loves it!

This baked oatmeal (or "boatmeal" if you're in a hurry) is yummy, and I didn't have to make it the night before, which was nice. I never like instant oats, not chewy enough, so I used Bob's Red Mill  Gluten Free oats, and they are a little thicker, so I added a little extra coconut milk, and warmed it in the microwave for 3 minutes before adding the other ingredients. Just a little tip!


Dairy and Egg Free Baked Oatmeal


Serves: 8

Total time: 40 min     Prep time: 10 min



112 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
14 cup sugar
12 cup coconut or rice milk
14 cup applesauce
1 tbsp flax seeds (ground)
2 tbsps warm water
1 tsp baking powder
34 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries


1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2Mix the 1 tbsp ground flax seed with the 2 tbsp of water and leave it for a couple of minutes to thicken.
3Put the blueberries in the bottom of a 9 inch square pan.
4Mix rest of ingredients together in a bowl and dump on top of the fruit. Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until golden brown.
5Top with rice/almond/soy milk, soy yogurt, or eat plain.
6The oatmeal can be prepared ahead of time and then just thrown into the oven in the morning.
7Try this recipe with any kind of fruit.  The possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

  1. I love this picture of Archie! BOnnie you are So amazing! You are the best mom ever.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete